New Orleans, the old days
I left New Orleans last month, with much sadness. You see, that crazy, dysfunctional, ass backwards city had been my home for nearly 6 years. In spite of myself, I fell in love with it. I had always considered myself a NYer through and through. While I still feel that NYC is the center of the world(bite me if you disagree) I have an affection for NOLA that is impossible to match by any other place.
In an effort to remember all the crazy things I did in my time there, I've decided to spend some posts on my memories. You could call them a "Best of NOLA." Some of you who read this have starred in these memories, and I hope you get a chuckle. I did thinking of these.
Freshman year at TU started with a bang. Arriving in NOLA, my mother and I woke up early in the morning and dressed in nice clothes for the big move-in day. Within 3 minutes of stepping outside, my makeup melted off and my hair wilted, confirming my fear that I'd meet my roommate looking a hot mess. Not that it mattered. The first night I spent in my room with her, I tried to chat about who she was, what home was like, general first roommate stuff. After asking questions for about 5 minutes, I realized she was sound asleep. Great start, no?
A and I lived on the same floor, P3, and spent quite a bit of time out and about town. You see, I had a 9pm curfew growing up. My parents view was to simply keep me locked in the house, thereby keeping me out of trouble. (If only they knew how lame our nights out would have been...but thats another story.)
Our favorite haunts were the HOB on Thursdays, downtown anywhere on Friday, and the best times were had at Jimmy's Wednesdays. Jimmy's. Ladies night. 5$ cover and drink all you want. TU kids today have no concept of the beauty of a Jimmy's Wednesday. It was within walking distance to campus, but through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Uptown. We never went before 11pm, so 2 18 year old girls walking alone at night...well, let's just say its a wonder I'm still alive today. Our defense? We would tie a sparkly bandanna around our heads a la Cash Money, smoke a Black and Mild and talk really loudly. In our 18 year old brains, this was a foolproof strategy for staying alive.
E was my first introduction to crazy club life. This girl was absolutely insane. E's idea of a good time--
Hey y'all, let's go out tonight.
OK where we headed?
I don't know, let me call "one of the random ass club guys I know" and we'll see what list I can get us on. It'll be free, don't worry. I ain't paying for shit.
K, I'll be over later.
At which point I'd head over to her place about 9:30. She would be sewing together, by hand, a small napkin, 7 feathers, two shoestrings and a bandanna, and from this assortment of objects a rather sexy outfit would emerge. E's clothes were like a phoenix rising from the ashes of her kitchen junk drawer. Normally, while she was making these outfits, she would be drinking a similarly classy drink. For example, Bacardi Limon, on the rocks, with extra crushed lemon on the bottom. Or her personal favorite, orange flavor MD 20/20. I'll never forget the time we are all over her place pregaming, and my girl E is SQUATTING IN THE CORNER DRINKING MD 20/20 FROM A BROWN PAPER BAG. No joke.
E, you were and still are, my inspiration.
In an effort to remember all the crazy things I did in my time there, I've decided to spend some posts on my memories. You could call them a "Best of NOLA." Some of you who read this have starred in these memories, and I hope you get a chuckle. I did thinking of these.
Freshman year at TU started with a bang. Arriving in NOLA, my mother and I woke up early in the morning and dressed in nice clothes for the big move-in day. Within 3 minutes of stepping outside, my makeup melted off and my hair wilted, confirming my fear that I'd meet my roommate looking a hot mess. Not that it mattered. The first night I spent in my room with her, I tried to chat about who she was, what home was like, general first roommate stuff. After asking questions for about 5 minutes, I realized she was sound asleep. Great start, no?
A and I lived on the same floor, P3, and spent quite a bit of time out and about town. You see, I had a 9pm curfew growing up. My parents view was to simply keep me locked in the house, thereby keeping me out of trouble. (If only they knew how lame our nights out would have been...but thats another story.)
Our favorite haunts were the HOB on Thursdays, downtown anywhere on Friday, and the best times were had at Jimmy's Wednesdays. Jimmy's. Ladies night. 5$ cover and drink all you want. TU kids today have no concept of the beauty of a Jimmy's Wednesday. It was within walking distance to campus, but through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Uptown. We never went before 11pm, so 2 18 year old girls walking alone at night...well, let's just say its a wonder I'm still alive today. Our defense? We would tie a sparkly bandanna around our heads a la Cash Money, smoke a Black and Mild and talk really loudly. In our 18 year old brains, this was a foolproof strategy for staying alive.
E was my first introduction to crazy club life. This girl was absolutely insane. E's idea of a good time--
Hey y'all, let's go out tonight.
OK where we headed?
I don't know, let me call "one of the random ass club guys I know" and we'll see what list I can get us on. It'll be free, don't worry. I ain't paying for shit.
K, I'll be over later.
At which point I'd head over to her place about 9:30. She would be sewing together, by hand, a small napkin, 7 feathers, two shoestrings and a bandanna, and from this assortment of objects a rather sexy outfit would emerge. E's clothes were like a phoenix rising from the ashes of her kitchen junk drawer. Normally, while she was making these outfits, she would be drinking a similarly classy drink. For example, Bacardi Limon, on the rocks, with extra crushed lemon on the bottom. Or her personal favorite, orange flavor MD 20/20. I'll never forget the time we are all over her place pregaming, and my girl E is SQUATTING IN THE CORNER DRINKING MD 20/20 FROM A BROWN PAPER BAG. No joke.
E, you were and still are, my inspiration.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home